This scan can give a more accurate establishment of your due date than counting from your last monthly period (LMP)
Many pregnant women are not sure of the date of their last monthly period (LMP) and so a dating scan might be recommended to work out an accurate due date. Finding out how pregnant you are is important to ensure that the results of your nuchal translucency scan are accurate. It can also find out if you are having more than one baby.
First Trimester Screenings
Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound
The most important part of this scan at 12 weeks is the health and wellbeing of your baby. This gets assessed prior to measuring the Nuchal translucency.
The area at the back of the baby’s neck is then assessed. All babies have some fluid in this area, but excess fluid has been associated with an increased risk of Down syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities. This area of fluid is transient and disappears later in the pregnancy for normal fetuses as well as Down syndrome fetuses. For this reason, the area of fluid is best measured between 12 and 13½ weeks of pregnancy.
Not all babies that have a high risk result have Down syndrome but the result may help you decide if you wish to investigate further with a diagnostic test.
All of the Sonographers working at Ultrasound Services are fully accredited First Trimester Screening Sonographers.
An anatomy scan is the most extensive ultrasound examination carried out on the fetus during pregnancy
- It is performed between weeks 19 and 21 weeks.
- An anomaly scan takes a close look at your baby. The person carrying out the scan (sonographer) will check that your baby is developing normally, and also look at where the placenta is located in your uterus.
- This is the scan that assesses the development of baby from the brain, spine heart internal organs and limbs.
- Keep in mind that the scan’s main purpose is to check that your baby is developing normally, rather than whether you’re expecting a boy or girl.
- Ultrasound Services also uses the 3D and 4D technology to assess the health of your baby.
Third Trimester Ultrasound Scans
Fetal Growth and Wellbeing
The purpose of this examination is to assess:
- Position of the baby
- Size of the baby
- Amount of fluid surrounding the baby
- Placental resistance to blood flow
- Baby’s current state of health
Most babies are head down towards the end of pregnancy. Occasionally the baby can be in a breech position, where the bottom is closest to the cervix (opening to the uterus).
The age of the baby is established in early pregnancy. The size of the baby can be compared with the size expected for this stage of pregnancy, giving information about the baby’s growth. An estimate of the weight can be calculated from the measurements.
The resistance to blood flow in the placenta is assessed with Doppler ultrasound of the umbilical artery.
Peripheral Arterial Study — Comprehensive
(Claudication, Rest Pain, Ulceration, Aneurysms)
Abdominal duplex, including femoral, popliteal and tibial
Ankle Brachial Indices (exercise or resting)
- Abdominal Vessels Only
(AAA, Occlusive disease, EVAR surveillance)
- Exercise Ankle Brachial Index (ABI)
- Lower Limb Arterial Duplex Only
(Claudication, Rest Pain, Ulceration)
Carotid and Vertebral Duplex
Upper Limb Arterial Duplex
Abdominal and Ovarian Vein Duplex
(Pelvic congestion syndrome, deep venous insufficiency)
Lower Limb Venous Incompetence Duplex Study
(Varicose Veins, Venous Ulcer, Swelling)
Lower Limb Venous Thrombosis (DVT) Duplex Study
(Deep or Superficial Thrombosis only)
Upper Limb Venous Duplex StudyArterio-Venous Fistula Arm
General Ultrasound Procedures:
- Urinary Tract/Renal
- Male Pelvis
- Soft Tissue
All our staff are fully qualified with years of experience.
We are here to offer a unique service to all parents, providing them with the chance to take their very first glimpse at their unborn baby in utero with our 3D/4D ultrasound technology.
Why use Ultrasound Services?
- Ultrasound Services is a fully accredited business.
- You are scanned by a fully qualified and accredited sonographer with more than 4 years’ experience.
- We use the latest technology in Ultrasound Machines for high-quality imaging.
We are here to capture for you all the most precious memories surrounding your pregnancy, which you can treasure forever.